AUGUSTA, Ga. – More than 1,000 students will participate in commencement exercises for Georgia Regents University at 2 p.m., Friday, May 9, at the James Brown Arena.
Liz Murray, Author of the New York Times bestselling memoir “Breaking Night,” will be the guest speaker.
Murray grew up in the Bronx – the child of cocaine-addicted parents. There was never food in the house, everything was filthy, drugs were everywhere, and welfare checks were spent before they arrived. By age 15, her mother was dead and Murray was living on the streets, riding the subway all night, and eating from dumpsters. But she always knew her life could be better.
“I started to grasp the value of the lessons learned while living on the streets. I knew, after overcoming those daily obstacles that next to nothing could hold me down,” she says.
Murray finished high school in two years while camping out in New York City parks and subway stations and went on to graduate from Harvard with a bachelor’s degree in psychology in 2009. A movie about her life, “From Homeless to Harvard,” premiered on Lifetime Television in 2003, and she is the recipient of Oprah Winfrey’s first ever Chutzpah Award.
Other activities planned around graduation, are:
- Ring Ceremony for juniors and seniors, 4:30 p.m., Sunday, May 4, Quadrangle, Summerville campus
- College of Dental Medicine, Senior picnic, 6 p.m., Savannah Rapids Pavilion
- College of Dental Medicine, Senior recognition luncheon and ceremony; luncheon begins at 11:30 a.m., College of Dental Medicine Pavilion; Ceremony begins at 1 p.m., Natalie and Lansing B. Lee, Jr. Auditorium, Health Sciences campus
- Medical College of Georgia, Hooding Ceremony, 2 p.m., Bell Auditorium, 601 7th St.
- College of Nursing, Convocation, 3 p.m., Maxwell Theatre, Summerville campus
- College of Education, Commencement celebration, 4 p.m., Jaguar Student Activities Center Ballroom, Summerville campus
- Hull College of Business, Graduation reception, 6 p.m., Allgood Hall, North Corridor, Summerville campus
- College of Allied Health Sciences, Hooding and Honors Ceremony, 6 p.m., Bell Auditorium
- Lantern Lighting Ceremony, sponsored by Undergraduate Student Government Association, 7 p.m., Quadrangle, Summerville campus
- The Graduate School, Hooding Ceremony, 8 a.m., Warren Baptist Church, 3203 Washington Road
- Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, Graduate celebration, 9 a.m., Jaguar Student Activities Center Ballroom, Summerville Campus
- College of Dental Medicine, Hooding Ceremony, 10 a.m., First Baptist Church of Augusta, 3500 Walton Way Extension
- College of Science and Mathematics, 10 a.m., Graduation celebration, Science Hall atrium, Summerville campus