Dr. T. Andrew Albritton, Senior Associate Dean for Curriculum at the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University, is the college’s 2014 Outstanding Faculty Award recipient.
Albritton, whose primary focus has been medical education during his 24-year career at MCG, is Program Director of the Essentials of Clinical Medicine Course and is Vice Chairman of the Clinical Oversight Committee. He was named Associate Dean for Curriculum in 2000 and Senior Associate Dean in 2013. He has served as a faculty advisor for junior medical students since 1991, a member of the MCG Faculty Senate Student Affairs Committee for nearly 20 years and as a member of MCG’s Internship Advisory Committee since 1993.
He received the American Medical Student Association Gold Apple Award in 2006-07; the American College of Physicians Laureate Award in 2012; and was elected an American College of Physicians Master in 2013.
In nominating Albritton for the award, a colleague noted that few individuals have served MCG as extensively and that his most important impact has been his service to and support of medical students and residents.
Dr. William B. Strong. Emeritus Leon Henri Charbonnier Professor of Pediatrics, Section Chief Emeritus of Pediatric Cardiology, and founding Director of the Georgia Prevention Center, received the college’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Most recently, Strong served as Director of GRU’s Institute of Public and Preventive Health and is currently Senior Advisor to the institute’s Director.
Other distinguished Faculty Awards presented during the March 6 MCG Faculty Senate meeting went to:
• Dr. Carol A. Nichols, Associate Professor, Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, Basic Science Teaching
• Dr.Yulia Melenevsky, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Clinical Science Teaching
• Dr. Kebin Liu, Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Basic Science Research
• Dr. Lawrence D. Layman, Chief of the Section of Reproductive Endocrinology, Infertility and Genetics and Robert B. Greenblatt Endowed Chair, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clinical Science Research
• Dr. Gyanendra K. Sharma, Professor, Department of Medicine, Patient Care Award
• Dr. Kathryn S. McLeod, Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Patient Care Award.
Dr. John C.H. Steele Jr., Chief of the Section of Clinical Pathology and Walter L. Shepeard Professor of Clinical Pathology in the Department of Pathology, received the Institutional Service Award.
Dr. Ryan A. Harris, Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, received the Outstanding Young Basic Science Faculty Award, and Dr. Theodore S. Johnson, Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, received the Outstanding Young Clinical Science Faculty Award.
The Department of Pediatrics, led by Dr. Bernard L. Maria, received the Outstanding Clinical Science Teaching Award from the Class of 2014, and the Department of Pathology, led by Dr. Amyn M. Rojiani, received the Outstanding Basic Science Teaching Award from the Class of 2015.
Dr. T. Ryan Gallaher, who completed his internal medicine residency at MCG and the GR Health System this past summer and started an infectious disease fellowship at MCG/GR Health System, is Resident of the Year. Dr. Gallaher was the Department of Medicine’s 2013 Resident of the Year.
Educator of the Year Awards from MCG students were presented to:
• Dr. Christopher W. Edwards, Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Class of 2014
• Dr. Stephen K. Lucas, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Class of 2014 at the GRU/UGA Medical Partnership campus
• Dr. John F. Fisher, Professor, Department of Medicine, Class of 2016
• Dr. John C. Morgan, Associate Professor, Department of Neurology Class of 2015
• Dr. Van Morris, Associate Professor, Department of Neurology, Class of 2015 at the GRU/UGA Medical Partnership campus
• Dr. Brian P. Higgins, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Class of 2016 at the GRU/UGA Medical Partnership campus.
• Dr. Vadivel Ganapathy, Chairman, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Class of 2017
• Dr. Clive A. Slaughter, Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Class of 2017 at the GRU/UGA Medical Partnership.